Sunday, December 14, 2014

Planning Ahead: The Secret to Cultivating Rest and Play


Like everyone this time of year, we've got a hectic schedule. This coming week, we're only able to be home on Monday evening. The rest of them will be spent at the Holland Center downtown for Symphony Rehearsals or performances for Allison. It can get a little nuts and (surprise!) I do my fair share of whining about it, but I'm so grateful for the opportunity she's been given to do this. It's a professional performance except for the inclusion of the Omaha Children's Choir and the Anne Nagosky Violin School. So, in an effort to quit complaining, to "let go of exhaustion as a status symbol and productivity as self-worth" - as Brene Brown so eloquently puts it, I have just planned ahead to make this week a little easier for everyone. 

Yesterday, I made a crock pot full of chili and used the 10 lbs. of potatoes I overbought for Thanksgiving to make a bunch of mashed potatoes. We made sugar cookie cut-outs because it's our last week-end before Christmas to get it done. I peeled, cored and sliced a dozen apples no-one was eating and made pie filling to freeze. I put some aside to make this recipe I first wrote about back in May 2014 for breakfast this morning. I don't have any left-over like I did back then, though, because Rich ate the second one:

Dutch Apple Pancakes


Today, I'm making a lasagna and two kinds of Rich's favorite Christmas Cookies - $350 Cookies and Anise Cookies. I have stuff for salads ready in the fridge. We should be prepped with food for the week!

Now, about that final project for school...my laptop will just be spending some time at the Holland Center with me this week! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment