Monday, May 13, 2013

Twice Baked Deliciousness

Twice baked potatoes…is there anyone who doesn’t love them? I enjoy loaded baked potatoes, as I’ve said before. These are basically the same thing, just smushed all together but my family thinks I worked some kind of magic with these. Like some of my best recipes, I made them by accident. I planned a loaded baked potato bar for family dinner last night. As it turned out, everyone but me preferred to have left-overs from the taco bar we had Saturday night…we’re obviously into the “bar” concept around here.

Regardless, I had five baked potatoes left-over and a turkey tenderloin in the fridge. I looked up a recipe for twice baked potatoes, altered it a bit and in 40 minutes, we had a great weekday dinner on the table. We also had a dinner that didn't feel restrictive. I didn't feel deprived or left out. I love that! 

These potatoes could go with just about any kind of meat – even grilled meat. I bet you could roll them in foil and put them on the grill so you don’t heat up the house in the summer months. I’ll be giving that a try sometime soon.

Twice Baked Potatoes

5 Baked Potatoes
½ cup milk
5 tbsp sour cream
5 tbsp canola butter
2.5 oz shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Topping
1.5 oz shredded cheddar cheese
70 grams real bacon bits

Use left-over baked potatoes or bake the potatoes in a 375 degree oven for 1 hour. Cut the potatoes in half, lengthwise. Scoop out most of the potato (leaving a little to stabilize the “shell”) and place in a mixing bowl. Place the shells in a shallow baking pan. To the potatoes, add: milk, sour cream, butter, cheese, salt and pepper. Mix with a hand mixer until smooth. Scoop the back into the shells. Top each with cheese and bacon bits and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

Nutrition Facts for one shell (half of a potato): 
  • Calories: 189
  • Fat: 9.6
  • Carbs: 18.9
  • Fiber: 1.5
  • Protein: 8.9


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment