Friday, May 3, 2013

Goodbye: Switzerland & Chocolate

There's been alot of talk about Switzerland lately. About now everyone is thinking, "There has?" and wondering what they missed. Those who work closely with me know. I like to BE Switzerland and I remind them of that often. I like people to do their work with minimal drama, ask for help when they need it and come back the next day and do the same thing. This happens with some - not many and certainly not all. I've told you before, though, that I work in an Emergency Department and I work in this Emergency Department as one of the problem-solvers.

As much as I'd like to deny it, Switzerland's not going to be very effective as a problem-solver and change agent. My boss has been pushing me out of Switzerland for the last few weeks and I've been tip-toeing out a bit on my own. Okay, really I've just been sticking my toe out to test the temperature of the less passive, more diplomatic land across the border. These things make a lifelong peacemaker very uncomfortable. And when I get uncomfortable, I run for my drug of choice: chocolate. As many of you may already know - chocolate helps with NOTHING.

One of my recent "aha moments" came at a Domestic Violence Council breakfast celebration I attended earlier this week. The guest speaker was Chief Judge Shaun R. Floerke from Duluth, MN where they apparently deal with this Domestic Violence stuff right. His speech was great but it really hit me when he started talking about the cooperation it takes to move a program. He talked about how you have to leave your personal feelings out of it and ask those difficult questions to gain a better understanding of the people who are giving you trouble. It was one of those moments where I thought he was talking specifically to me. I had one of those difficult conversations as soon as I got back to work that morning.

That makes three difficult conversations in about ten days. They all went better than I had imagined and/or expected. What I've been reminded of - because I already knew it - is you don't have be Switzerland to be kind - you don't have to be a jerk to get your point across. You don't have to sacrifice any moral, ethical or professional standards in order to come to a compromise. Asking, "What can I do to make this work?" goes a really long way to building valuable bridges of cooperation. And a new level of mutual respect can be reached after open, honest conversations take place.

I'm moving forward in the hope that a more proactive, diplomatic approach in all areas of my life will serve me well. Switzerland will have to be just a beautiful place I'd like to visit one day. As for chocolate - we're 'on a break.' I don't know where our relationship will go from here but if it's not helping me, it's hurting me. So, it's goodbye for now. Maybe I'll have a bit of chocolate on my visit to Switzerland.



Is it a coincidence that the Swiss do chocolate best?
Image Courtesy of: elkella.blogspot.com







No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment