Saturday, April 27, 2013

'We'll Eat Like Kings!' Shredded Pork

As our vegetarian daughter will lament, “My family’s a bunch of carnivores.” It’s true. We love ourselves some meat. When I was telling Alex and his friend Luke the plans for this meal, Alex said with mock bravado, “We’ll eat like Kings!” A little too much Game of Thrones for that one.

I’ve made this before but I made two mistakes. First, I used a crock pot. For some reason unbeknownst to me – and probably completely obvious to any one of you – the meat never gets to a point where it shreds like it does when you cook it in the oven. Maybe it does and I just haven’t cooked it in the crock pot for an entire day. Second, I left out the chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. 

It’s because I’m historically wimpy. Ask anyone. It’s true. It’s especially true for spicy food, pull-ups (not the big kid diapers), and anything that moves when I’m not the one driving it (motion sickness). But, enough about me…

I made this almost exactly like the recipe on Pioneer Woman’s site Pioneer Woman's Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork except that I had two pork shoulders – both about 2.5 lbs. I use root beer rather than Dr. Pepper because I like it better. I cooked them in two separate pots, one with the chipotle peppers and one without. I roasted them at 300 degrees for about 4 hours and they were perfect.

In the picture below, you can see that the spicy shredded pork was used for a soft-taco – with tons of sour cream to offset the burn-your-face-off spiciness. It wasn't really that spicy, I just like to say that. It was delicious. I will definitely make it again…and again.

The non-spicy shredded pork was served on buns. If I was Pioneer Woman, I would have toasted those buns in butter on a griddle and served them warm and crunchy. The family can dream, can’t they?

If you love pulled pork – you will love this recipe. You will also love how your whole day is free while it's cooking. The spicy variety can be used to make so many different things – tacos, nachos, burritos. The non-spicy version can be served with all kinds of side dishes – a picnic with salads or a sit-down dinner with any kind of potatoes. You can make small roasts like I did or a big one. Assure that you make enough to have left-overs. I did and I bet it’s going to be even better tomorrow! Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment