Saturday, March 2, 2013

Aunt Connie's Lemon Drop Bars

My Aunt Connie sent me the recipe for these gluten-free Lemon Bars! I haven’t had lemon bars for years and Rich loves them. I altered them a little because I found Pamela’s Bread Mix and Flour Blend, so I didn’t use the flour blend in the recipe. Why do extra work when someone else has already done it? I also usually use Light Canola Butter in the place of butter because it has half the calories of real butter. It’s a whipped butter, so when mixing this crust, it doesn’t become crumbly like usual. It just forms a big ball. It spreads well in the bottom of the pan with a spatula, though. If you’re not worried about counting calories you can definitely use regular butter.


I’ve named the new recipe Aunt Connie’s Lemon Drop Bars. That’s what these taste like – tart and sweet like a lemon drop! I’m having two today because they’re so yummy I can’t leave them alone. Try them – and if you’re not gluten-free just use regular flour in the same amount. Enjoy (one…or maybe two)!

Aunt Connie’s Lemon Drop Bars

1 cup Pamela’s bread mix and flour blend
½ cup light canola butter
¼ cup sugar

Mix well with a fork. Use a spatula to spread in a greased 8x8 in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until edges start to brown.
While that’s baking mix:

¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
3 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. Pamela’s bread mix and flour blend
1 tsp. lemon zest
¼ tsp. gluten-free baking powder

When crust is finished baking, pour this mixture over crust and bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes until filling is set.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar (1/8 cup total) while warm and again when cooled. Cut into 16 squares.

Nutrition Facts for 1/16 of the pan:
  • Calories: 126.5
  • Fat: 3.7
  • Carbs: 22.8
  • Fiber: 1
  • Protein: 1.1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment