Sunday, March 10, 2013

On Limiting Collateral Damage

Even though I can’t kick a virus to save my life this winter, I’m feeling pretty good; pretty good because I’m working on my twenty-second perfect day in a row. That means I’ve completed three weeks of perfect days – perfect exercise, perfect food. The first twenty or so days of this are the hardest.

Now, when I feel like cheating, I look at the chart in the picture below and really take into account what I’d be blowing. Who’s going to blow twenty-one perfect days? Not me. When it’s only two perfect days, it’s a lot easier to talk yourself into cheating and just starting over. After all, what’s two days? But twenty-one? Forget it.

So, I’m over one-fifth of the way to my goal of one hundred perfect days. I’ve lost six pounds, so I’m ahead of my schedule to lose 1.5 pounds/week until the first week in October, when I’ll reach my goal weight.

Why can I do it now, when I’d struggled for four months to get it right? I decided. I choose to do it well. I’ve made it okay to be hungry sometimes. I was hungry last night when I went to bed. I just went to bed, knowing I had a yummy breakfast awaiting me in the morning. Now that I look back, I don’t even know if it was actual hunger. It may have just been that I was overtired.

When I’m in the throes of crazy – eating terribly and feeling worse – the recipe for doing this right, getting my mojo back, isn’t clear to me. I can talk to myself until I’m blue in the face. Nothing gets through to me. When I’m doing this right, when I DECIDE to do it right and I’ve gone this far being perfect, nothing makes more sense. If anyone can crack this mystery of the human brain (or just my brain) – please enlighten me!

Now that I’ve written this down – told you all – maybe next time I’m lost, I can come back here and read this and get back on track a little sooner. Maybe next time there won’t be a four month delay in getting back to it. I’m looking for my next screw-up (and the one after that and the one after that) to be self-limiting and short-lived…with very little collateral damage.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment