Wednesday, March 6, 2013

COOKIE!!!!

I’ve been thinking about making these cookies for the last few days until, in my mind, I sounded like Sesame Street’s Cookie Monster (COOKIE!!!!!). So, I had to make them and get it over with. As with so many other things, the idea was so much better than the reality.

Who says you can’t have cookies for dinner? I’m 45 years old. I’m the Mom. I buy my own groceries. I make the cookies. If I want cookies, they will be had. I didn’t go over and above my calories to do this. I slowly and carefully plotted and planned the number of calories I would need for my two cookies. It would mean very little else for dinner.

Frankly, the whole experience was a little disappointing.

These are my usual Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies using the recipe on the package with the minor adjustment of using Crisco in place of butter. Our family has loved these for years. I didn’t want to use Crisco this time. Besides the hydrogenated oil issue – it’s packed with calories – 110 calories per tablespoon whereas canola butter has 50 calories per tablespoon. They needed to be gluten-free for me, so I used a new flax blend flour with a great whole grain flavor to it. Still, the cookies were a little more runny than usual because I used whipped butter rather than Crisco.

They still tasted good but they weren’t dense like my normal chocolate chip cookies. I had two cookies, one was just dough – the other was cooked. I’m satisfied that I got my cookies, but I’m a little hungry yet. I knew I would be and took the trade off.

I know there’s someone out there thinking, “This chick needs some serious help.” That may be so. If your mind has never screamed, “Cookie!!!” – you may not understand the urgency of the situation. Rest assured, the issue has been diffused and I’m back to eating sensible, wholesome food (with a smidge of chocolate, too) tomorrow.

My mind is done screeching, “Cookie!!!” every few seconds. Now it’s screeching, “Burger!!!!” My mind needs to ‘zip it’ and leave me the h-e-double-hockey-sticks alone…


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment