Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Does Anything Say 'Love' Like Biscuits and Gravy?

Kids make you get out of your comfort zone in so many ways – they make you experience life more. Admittedly, this is a pretty insignificant example of this but it's an example just the same! Last week-end Alex wanted biscuits and gravy for breakfast. After he suggested it, I wanted it too. I haven’t had good biscuits and gravy for years. I tried once last year and it turned out to be a salty mess.

This time I used Pioneer Woman's Drop Biscuits and Gravy recipe. It was perfect. It was even better – more flavorful - left-over. Hers is made with homemade drop biscuits. I made ours with gluten-free Pamela’s drop biscuits. I like the fact that it’s made with drop biscuits. You won’t see me cutting out biscuits in the morning! Who am I kidding? I don't cut out biscuits...ever. I made the gravy with Gluten-Free Pantry’s all-purpose flour.

The only down-side was that two biscuits and 104 grams of the sausage gravy came to 397 calories! Add my morning coffee to that and I ended breakfast at 537 calories – over a third of what I’m allotted for the day! That made me cringe a little. But, every now and then, it’s worth the trade-off to have something wonderful and settle for less calories later.

The way to do that successfully is to plan the rest of the day eating things that are high in protein and high in fiber. That day, I had 16 strawberries and a half-cup of cottage cheese for lunch. I ate less for lunch and snack but about the same at dinner. It all worked out just fine. I psyche myself out a bit too much when things like this happen. I need to relax and enjoy the meals I make, not suck the joy out of them with my anxiety about how the rest of the day will go.

For many of us, there is a lot of joy in food. There is joy in making and sharing food. We love those around us with food. That’s just the way we are. We come from a long line of the same. Try these biscuits and gravy this week-end – just plan your day well. Share them, and the love and joy that go with them, with your family…and maybe me!

Nutrition Facts:

Pamela’s Drop Biscuits (one but I had two with this meal)
(the recipe calls for Crisco, which I leave out and they turn out just fine) 
  • Calories: 87
  • Fat: 4.6
  • Carbs: 14.3
  • Fiber: 1.5
  • Protein: 2.7


Sausage Gravy (104 g) 
  • Calories: 253
  • Fat: 9.3
  • Carbs: 13.1
  • Fiber: 0
  • Protein: 7.5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment