Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Love is a Strong Word


Don’t get me wrong – it’s not like the love I have for my children, husband, extended family and friends or, say…chocolate! However, it is love. I love to run. Who would’ve thought? When I started this journey, I remember saying, “I don’t run. I have never run. I will never run.” People like me are the reason the phrase “never say never” was coined.

I have to be clear, so you know, I did not start out running and I obviously did not intend to run. I started out walking. I have a history of starting exercise programs too vigorously, ending up too sore to move, then quitting. I used my determination to do this for a lifetime as my guide. The Couch to 5K program was even too strenuous for my level of fitness at that time. I exercised for 30 minutes/day with no days off. When I got to the point where I was walking fast and felt like I couldn’t walk any faster without running (about 5 months), I started running. I started by running the length from one light pole to the next. I did one light pole length that first day. It was one light pole length of running per two miles of walking. The next day, I ran two light pole lengths – not consecutively – maybe a half mile after the first I would run another. I increased like that…slowly.

Something else I did differently than in the past was to listen to my body. Now we all know how this goes – “my body said ‘stop’ so I did!” That is not your body. That is your brain. Your body speaks to you by sending pain signals to your brain. When I am sick or injured, I walk very gently – not trying to improve on anything – just making sure I am moving. I stretch. I will be 45 years old tomorrow and these muscles and bones, tendons and ligaments need TLC. I push myself but I don’t over push. I want this body to work for me for a long time yet.

Nevertheless, I’m not getting to why I love running. The reason I love running is what it’s done for my body and mind. It changed my body by making it stronger and leaner than it’s ever been. I have said to myself many times while running that I don’t ever want to be unable to run again. My family can probably speak better to what running has done for my mind. I’m more calm and less reactive when I’m running daily. My eyes feel clear – like they’re a window to my mind and soul – they feel that same clearness, for lack of a better word. I have a better perspective on all aspects of my life and I’m better able to problem-solve from that place. My skin is better. PMS is nearly non-existent. You don’t want to hear about sex but you’ve seen where this story is going…and you guessed right. All of my relationships have improved. It’s the endorphins, I’m sure. I spend more time outside of myself. I’m not worried what people are thinking or how these clothes are fitting – I’m interested in others. I ask more questions. I have better conversations. I feel more connected to everyone around me. I smile more.

Doesn’t that sound like love to you?

I’m also more adventurous! My son, Alex, and I are flying to California in a few weeks to run our first half-marathon with my cousin and his wife. The longest race I’ve ever run is a 5K. There’s probably something wrong with me. Alex keeps saying it’s a flat course by the ocean – a once in a lifetime experience. At the wise age of 22, I know he’s right. I will be so glad I did this. I will be so glad I did it with him…in California…in February. Life is good.


2 comments:

  1. Spot on! I know that I'm in love...its all (or ok, nearly all) that I think about! My body wants and craves to run...its been a year and a half for me and I don't ever want this "honeymoon" phase to end. I strive to be stronger and push harder...I think of runs and where I can go each day. Like any good relationship, I wish it would have started earlier...but then again, maybe I'd be different if I hadn't struggled to get to this point...and am SO glad that running and I found each other...even IF it was when I was 45 (now seeing 47 approaching!).
    Good for you...I am SO happy for you and you continue to inspire me and the world at large. A momentous occasion it will be...and a precious moment with Alex! SO proud of you...the whole and entire YOU and who you've become!
    And by the way...have an AMAZING Birthday...you are the BEST gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend! And thank you for always challenging me to be better! :)

      Delete

Post a comment