Saturday, January 5, 2013

The beginning

One goes through time – just plowing ahead until at some point, there is a moment of clarity. That moment may be broken up, over time, into little glimpses of that clarity. Perhaps you thought about getting healthy, but you were just “too busy” or “too tired” or “too…” something else to entertain the thought for very long. Maybe you were told you have an intolerance to one or more foods, but that information was inconvenient for you to process at the time you got it, so you just kept living in your current state.

Regardless of how or when you come to this clarity – what matters is that you come to it. Once you do – fully come into it – there is no going back. Going back would mean waking in the morning sluggish again, it would mean walking around in a fog of food that my body is rejecting, and it would mean living less of a life than I’ve dreamed. It would mean not living all the way.

So, at the age of 43, I chose to live all the way. No. Matter. What. I knew I didn’t want to go back…ever. I researched the best plan that made the most sense to me for a lifetime. That would teach me to live well and stay with me to maintain my success. I joined the F.A.S.T. Diet (
www.meanestmanindieting.com) in January 2011. Don’t let the website name scare you. It has nothing to do with actual fasting and they’re really not mean. After trying everything – except programs where you have to pay for their food – this one has it all. Tony Dean and the F.A.S.T. Diet program he created has been the greatest gift to me and a number of my friends and family.

It hasn’t been a smooth or an easy ride. It hasn’t been linear and comforting. It’s been chaotic with stops and starts – successes and failures – tears and tantrums. Each and every moment has been worth it. It’s been worth it to change my thoughts and behaviors, to establish good habits that lead to better decisions, and to raise children who emulate these healthy thoughts, habits and behaviors in their own lives.

In these 2 years, since I started, I have lost 75 lbs. I still have 40 lbs. to go. This will be the year I hit goal and enter Maintain – 2013. Could I have done it by now - faster than I have? Yes. I could’ve lost it all in that first year and been on maintain for a year by now. That’s kind of the point of this blog – Mending Wendy – ‘mending’ indicates to me that it will take some time…as opposed to a quick ‘fix.’ So, this website will chronicle the journey of Mending Wendy. I will tell you what has worked for me – and what hasn’t. You will see what those frustrations have been along the way and maybe see yourself in some of the struggles. Possibly you will glean some information that is helpful to you. This is a process that will take a lifetime – being the best I can be. Is there a greater gift we can give ourselves or our families?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment