Monday, January 21, 2013

Enjoy the Little Moments in Life


I have eaten the same breakfast every day for 7 months. I love it. I never grow tired of it. If any of you are eating instant oatmeal – you’ll want to take a few extra minutes and make this instead. It sticks to your ribs, as they say, and it tastes delightful. Most mornings I comment on how good it tastes. Allison will say, “I know, I know – it’s SO good.” Apparently I can be a little repetitive (and annoying. That can just stay between us).

I first had this concoction when I was visiting my dear friend Sheri, where she lives, in Big Sky Montana. That’s why I call it Big Sky Oatmeal. I don’t know if I eat it every day because I love it so much or because I want to be transported back there. To three life-renewing days of hiking and biking in the Rocky Mountains of Montana, a muscles-melting-off-your-bones massage, laughing until we cried, reconnecting with one another and the beauty surrounding us.

Sheri made this for me, at least once, with an egg – over-easy. I will do that on the week-end – add an egg or maybe a piece of bacon if I’m already making it for someone else. It’s just that little extra decadence it needs for a week-end, lingering breakfast.

This is the most important meal of the day. I didn’t used to buy that. I used to grab whatever I happen to have – or nothing. That didn’t get me very far into the day before I was looking for something else. Eating a good foundational breakfast has made every day better. I’m not hungry until it’s time for lunch and by lunch I’m not starving; ready to devour whatever’s not nailed down! You know the feeling.

Whether you eat this or not, eat something. Preferably something that fills you up. Something you look forward to having again. Maybe something that reminds you of a beautiful, comforting place. That something should nourish you and lay the foundation for a good day ahead. It’s all about taking the time to better care for yourself. Enjoy the little moments in life - like breakfast!

The recipe for this is one serving of Scottish Oatmeal cooked per directions on package (3/4 cup water/ 36 grams oatmeal). When that’s done (about 10 minutes) put it in a bowl and top with: 1 tbsp. dried mixed berries, 1 tbsp. chopped pecans, 1 tsp. honey. Every morning I have this with two mugs of coffee with caramel macchiato creamer. I’m in love with that, too (only 35 cals/tbsp.)!

Nutrition facts for Big Sky Oatmeal:
Calories: 241
Fat: 7.9
Carbohydrates: 241
Fiber: 5.25
Protein: 7.75




Lone Peak - Big Sky, MT
June 2012

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny that we are such creatures of habit? I make banana pancakes made from three egg whites and a mashed banana with a tablespoon of all purpose gluten free flour... 1 tsp Cinnamon and vanilla... wisk it all together and fry it like a pancake! I also use 1 tb honey for syrup.
    I've only done it since I've come across the concoction a couple weeks ago.
    I always make sure to have everything I need for the recipe so my morning doesn't feel off... funny how you look forward to the mornings just to get a little bit of what you love...
    It tastes so much better when I stay on track with my cals... but then again, staying on track makes you only want to eat what is amazing-you also savor every bite... which makes it easier to enjoy small things like that.
    When I go over board and eat things that I "love" but aren't in my cal range, they dnt taste as good... nothing ever really does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy! You look so pretty in your picture! Gorgeous eyes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jess! Your pancakes sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AND...fresh blueberries are yummy in this, too!! To make it more Irish, we found out on our visit last year (while in search of the mighty BLARNEY stone) that to make it "Irish" and bring a "glow" to your cheeks, that adding a wee bit of Bailey's on top, does the trick! But...we'll stick with your version!! :)
    Isn't the name, though: Sheri's...my BEST-friend-in-the-entire, whole-world Big Sky Oatmeal?? Ah yes...I KNEW it was a typo!! YUM...to our friendship and the Big Sky Oatmeal...you're the best, dear!

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment