Sunday, January 13, 2013

Joy Takes Work


This is Merriam-Webster’s definition of joy:

1. a: the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of  
        possessing what one desires
    b: the expression or exhibition of such emotion
2. a state of happiness or felicity
3. a source or cause of delight

It’s probably a good thing I’m not responsible for the definitions of words. This definition seems very limited and it doesn’t convey the profound experience of joy for me. Of course, when I define it, I have to use my hands to indicate how powerful it is for me. Maybe I need to make a video dictionary. Hold that thought.

I think joy takes work because there are so many distracters in our world: the news, the internet, work problems, strained relationships, kids’ activities, the busy-ness I’ve talked about before. It all gets in the way. In order to experience joy in your life you have to be grateful first.

Grateful? It can be difficult, in a world where horrible things happen every day, to keep your focus. It helps to have a journal to keep track of what you’re grateful for. Sometimes all you may be able to come up with is, “I woke up today.” Write it down. It’s a start. It gets easier.

For example, I really, really don’t like to exercise at night. I mean really. There are times when that is the only time of day it can happen. On one particular day this summer, I was running at around ten o’clock at night. I may have been cursing in my head. I was probably cursing in my head. Then, I came around a corner and this big harvest moon was rising. I smiled. I felt the warmth of joy fill my chest (this is where I need the hand gestures). I would not have seen that moon had I exercised already that day. I would’ve been in the house, busy with preparations for the next day or watching a little TV or checking out Facebook.

I look at this type of experience in two ways:
    • What a precious gift I was given – to be outside in the cooling summer air, breathless from exercise to improve myself, watching a moonrise. I am so grateful for that gift.
    • When I get a little out of line or a little too cranky – this is how God speaks to me. If I don’t listen to His little nudges, He gets pushier – it’s best to listen early on.
This has happened with waking up early as well. I’m not a morning person (is there a theme of general stubbornness running through my Joy post?) But, when I have to be up early for work or getting Allison to school and I’ve been witness to so many beautiful sunrises. I am grateful to live in Nebraska where the sunrises and sunsets are breathtaking and that my house is situated such that I have perfect views.

These are just a couple of examples of how I derive joy from nature. My most profound source of joy is my children. Watching them succeed, helping them pick up the pieces when they fail, and witnessing their navigation of the world fills me with indescribable joy; joy that often moves me to tears. Anyone who’s a parent understands the effort it takes to a raise a child. The reason that’s all worth it is the joy.

Are there reasons to be angry or really, enraged, in this unfair world we inhabit? Yes. Please think about this: Where do anger and rage get you? Old, tired, bitter, ungrateful, joyless and probably pretty lonely. I prefer to work a little bit to find what I’m grateful for…to Choose Joy. I hope you do, too. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment