Sunday, February 3, 2013

2:55:44

That's my time for my first half-marathon. I didn't have a goal when I went into it. I just wanted to finish. When I saw the Pace Runner with the 3 hour sign, I knew that was my goal. I could do that. I had to glare at him a few times...really, you have to pass me? We worked it out and I got to cross the finish line first!

It started as the most beautiful California morning. Debbie, the chaffeur, came to pick us all up. Everything went smoothly. There was an intermittent mild breeze that brought in the smell of the ocean, which just made me deeply inhale. The sky was the color they named "sky blue" for, the palm trees were beautiful, the crowd was happy, energized. It couldn't have been a better atmosphere.

I didn't run the whole thing. I probably ran 7 or 8 miles total. I didn't let up when I walked though - I walked as fast as I could. Around mile 5 or so the song Try by Pink came on:

Where there is desire
There's going to be a flame
Where there's a flame
Someone's bound to get burned
But just because it burns
Doesn't mean you're gonna die
You've gotta get up and try, try, try....

Prior to that, I wasn't sure if any dying was actually going to happen or not. I was up in the air. After that song, I quit concentrating on the negative. It was great to see the kids handing out water, saying things like, "I wish I was like you!" Completely scripted, but I went with it! I enjoyed the waves crashing, the breeze, thankful to have the strength to be able to do this.

When I finished at 2:55:44, I was so sore. Who am I kidding? I still am. But, when I first finished, I was nauseas and my equilibrium was a little off. I told Shawn I wouldn't probably do a half-marathon again. Now, 6 hours later, after I've rehydrated, eaten and showered, I know that I will.

My gameplan is to do a few 10Ks in the spring and summer and another half-marathon in the fall. I believe the Omaha Marathon is September 22, 2013. Anyone with me?

(Alex finished just a bit after me because of an unfortunate spandex injury - but Shawn says he runs like a gazelle!)  We had great fun! We will again. However, Alex and I have vowed never to do a full marathon. I'm confident we will follow through on that.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment