Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Frito Chili Pie

I enjoy feeling like I’m eating something really hearty and flavorful. The taste of this chili makes me feel like it’s not as good for me as it is. Why wouldn’t I just want to eat things that are good for me? Don’t ask. It’s complicated. And I’m apparently a little freakish. All you have to know is this chili is fantastic.

The original recipe is from the Pioneer Woman. I have loved every recipe I’ve made from her website. I altered this one a little so it would have more fiber – otherwise the taste and texture are exactly the same. We love it!

We watch her show on Food Network on Saturday mornings, too. Allison has said, “I wish I was in their family.” Who doesn’t? Their family includes: horses, a ranch, a huge lodge with a huge, beautiful kitchen that she cooks amazing food in, a fun Mom and cuter than cute Dad, four kids and various dogs and cats. The last time we watched it, it was focused more on the food. About 2/3 of the way through the show Allison asked, “I wonder what’s going on with Ladd and the kids?” like we know them. We feel like we do!

I read her blog – not just for the recipes but for her humor. I’ve posted this story that she writes about doughnuts a couple of times on Facebook. It makes me laugh just thinking about it and I’ve read it so many times already! I may have to read it again. She writes it so well, you feel like you’re in that convenience store with her. Empathy will pour from you…she’s THAT good.

Back to the chili - Pioneer Woman talks about this being a great tailgating meal. I like it all Fall and Winter. It’s so warm and satisfying. That seems to be a theme with my recipes thus far – I do like to be warm!

You could skip the Frito’s and cheese and serve this with cornbread instead...I wouldn’t recommend it, though, because the Frito’s and cheese add such a heartiness to it. I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t like this chili. Give it a try!

Frito Chili Pie

1 lb hamburger
2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
2 cans kidney beans
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans original Rotelle
¼ cup masa
½ cup water
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground oregano
3 cloves garlic, minced

Prepare the same as the Pioneer Woman’s instructions:
Brown ground chuck with garlic in a pot over medium-high heat. Add tomato sauce, Rotel, salt, oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add drained and rinsed beans. Stir to combine, then cover and simmer for another 20 minutes.
Mix masa with water, then add to the chili. Stir to combine and simmer for a final 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
Serve by slicing the Frito bags open lengthwise. Pile in chili and cheese, and diced onion if using. Serve immediately with plastic forks. A crowd-pleaser!
Nutrition Facts for 1 cup of chili (does not include Frito’s or cheese): 
  • Calories: 235
  • Fat: 3.35
  • Carbs: 33.2
  • Fiber: 12
  • Protein: 19.8 
I add one ounce of Frito’s and one ounce of cheese to it depending on how many calories I have left for the day. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment