Monday, February 25, 2013

Burrito Pie

I have said before that eating hearty, flavorful food makes it easier to be satisfied with fewer calories. This is another one of those instances. This burrito pie is SO good. It’s filled with fiber in the form of tortillas and refried beans. It’s spicy and warm and one of my new favorite meals.

I love burritos and enchiladas but I don’t want to take the time to build them for the entire family. This and the enchilada casserole on this site are great (and quick) alternatives. I used mild rotelle and mild salsa in this but you could make it whatever level of heat you and your family prefer.

I didn’t save enough calories for sour cream tonight. Next time I will make a point of it. That’s going to take this up a notch! Make sure you allow this to cool for about 15 minutes. You know how refried beans can be nuclear hot? That’s how they are in this right out of the oven. Plus, it just sets up better if you give it time.

In the summer, I like recipes where I can cut up a bunch of produce. I love that fresh burst of flavor. In the winter, I’m fine with recipes like this or chili. The ingredients are soft and warm and meld together perfectly. Next time I’m thinking of using the pulled taco chicken Alex loves so much. If you like burritos, give this a try – you’ll love it.

Burrito Pie

2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 (2 oz) can black olives, sliced
1 (10 oz) can rotelle
2 cans refried beans
16 oz jar salsa (I use Newman’s Own, mild)
12 white corn tortillas
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded

Brown ground beef with onion and garlic (salt and pepper to taste). When browned add: black olives, rotelle, beans, and salsa. Stir together and simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Spray a 4 quart casserole with cooking spray. Place one layer of meat mixture on the bottom, top with a layer of cheese and a layer of tortillas. Repeat until layers are complete. End with meat mixture and cheese on the top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Enjoy!

Nutrition facts for 303.4 grams:

  • Calories: 379
  • Fat: 16.7
  • Carbs: 25.7
  • Fiber: 9.2
  • Protein: 23.7


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment