Monday, February 11, 2013

Time + Effort = Reward

We start being rewarded with food as children. Be good at the doctor and you get a sucker. Remember those suckers with the loop for a handle? That’s what they gave out when I saw Dr. Ahlness. I liked the cherry flavor best. This reward system came from our families, too: cookies or a candy bar to mow Grandma’s lawn. So, we grow up with this notion of rewarding ourselves with food.

I just did this to myself last week. I was doing a part of my job that I don’t enjoy. I told myself if I just got it done, I could stop at the gift shop on the way back to my office and get some popcorn and candy. AND I DID JUST THAT! Pavlov would’ve been proud!

If you have created a situation where a reward is wanted, needed or just habituated, I don’t think it should be discouraged. We give up far too many pleasurable things in this life as it is in the name of being healthy, responsible adults. We just have to figure out a reward that’s not harmful. Today, I did that part of my job with the promise that I would come back to my office and have the snack I had packed: pretzels, chocolate chips and an orange. It was still food but wasn’t harmful to me. I didn’t go over on my calories because of it. It would’ve been better to have chosen something like going visit one of my friends at work for a chat or taking a short walk.

When I started this program to lose weight, I decided to reward myself for every 10 lbs of weight lost. The key was that it had to be a nonfood reward. After the first 10 lbs, I got a massage. At 20 lbs, I got a mani-pedi. At 30 lbs it was time for some new clothes. At 40 lbs, I could finally fit into Victoria’s Secret stuff – so, off I went! When I hit the 50 lb mark, I bought myself a Coach Bag (I bought in on eBay, but still!). That’s how it went…I made sure it was always something that would pamper me and make me feel better about myself. It worked!

I encourage you to reward yourself if you’re trying to change a habit. It’s how we’re built. It’s how we best respond. It doesn’t have to be something big. It does have to be something important to you that you wouldn’t otherwise do; something worth working toward. Maybe it’s some self-care you’ve been neglecting for too long – waxing, laser hair treatments, haircut and/or color, or that mani-pedi? It could be a date night or going to a museum or a play. Whatever it is, it should be at increments small enough that you’re able to keep your focus. It will take some thinking and planning…but it’ll be fun. Start brainstorming with the words, “I wish…”


These particular pedi's were paid for by my friend's husband, Larry.
If you can finagle a deal like that - all the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment