Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Craving California

I was craving California so I made fish tacos. They, surprisingly, turned out to be VERY good! It helps that I’ve had them recently so I could choose a recipe that sounded close to Mutt Lynch's fish tacos. This is the recipe I used: Grilled Fish Tacos with Chipotle-Lime Dressing.

I had to alter it a little because that much adobo sauce would have killed me – or, at the very least, burned my mouth off. I’m very delicate. I hadn’t tried adobo sauce until this trip to California. I love it. Actually, I love a little bit of it. It’s way too hot for me but I’m a weenie that way. I used about a tablespoon rather than the ½ cup it calls for.

I also didn’t grill my tilapia. I baked it in a glass pan for about 30 minutes. I didn’t know if it would stick to the indoor grill. I wasn’t feeling adventurous enough to try. The tilapia would’ve been better grilled though.

For the cabbage, I used the coleslaw mix that’s already cut up. The first time we had them, we just piled that on top of the fish – like in the picture. When we had left-over’s the next day, I mixed the sauce in with the cabbage so it was just coated. That was so full of flavor!

If you're gluten-free, remember to get white corn tortillas. I don't like the yellow corn ones as much...they're a little gritty for me.

Since I’m fancy, I served it with Old El Paso Refried beans warmed up right out of the can. You can be like me, too, if you have a can opener and a microwave!

The rice was sticky sushi rice which Rich loves. I’m on the fence. I could do without rice but the meal is more complete if you have rice. I’d rather have a double serving of beans and often order that way at Mexican restaurants. To spice the rice up a little, I squeezed a lime into the water and added about a tablespoon of cilantro. Tada! Cilantro-Lime Rice! It was good – Rich had seconds.

If you’re not going anywhere warm in February, or even if you did but you want to go back, try these fish tacos. They’ll transport you where you want to be…at least for a few moments…before you go out and shovel snow. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment