Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Shiny and Pretty

Incentives are different from rewards. What? They are.

Merriam-Webster says an Incentive something that incites or has a tendency to incite to determination or action. And Reward is something that is given in return for good or evil done or received or that is offered or given for some service or attainment OR a stimulus administered to an organism following a correct or desired response that increases the probability of occurrence of the response.

See. You have to have the INCENTIVE first.

I wrote about rewards a couple of days ago. How I would reward myself after each 10 lbs lost. Incentive is different and not just my way of getting more stuff, although, that would be clever.

Incentives, for me, are things that are new and shiny and pretty. I know, I’m a little like Dori from Finding Nemo but who’s judging? There is nothing like new exercise clothes, new headphones, new shoes or new music to get me excited about working out! If I really feel like splurging I’ll get some exercise clothes from Lulu Lemon or Athleta. They feel great!

There are other things though, too, like the lunch bag in the picture from my friend Sherry! Have you ever seen such a pretty lunch bag? It’s definitely more fun for me to bring my lunch in this than in the Target bags I used before.

I get pretty water glasses with straws in them because it seems more natural to me to drink water from a straw. I know I’ll drink more that way and that’s just me. Sometimes you have to embrace the unusual because it’s just how you’re made!

The one thing I wouldn’t do as an incentive is buy clothes that are too small for you because you’ll “fit into them soon.” I’ve tried it. It just ends up being demoralizing.

Take some time to figure out what it is that makes you tick. What will make you more motivated? Incentivize yourself and see if it makes a difference!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment